Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day Ponderings

It's actually not quite Mother's Day yet, but this post from Michele at Frugal Granola was very thought provoking. Mother's Day is a very difficult day for those who carry the cross of infertility; for those who have lost babies through miscarriage, stillbirth, SIDS, or later; and for those whose mothers have passed away. It's a reminder to me that my burdens are very light compared to many and especially a reminder to pray for them.

OK, are you ready for this? Here I am!

My mom, Goose, and I went to the graduation reception of one of my cousins. The graduate (masters in architecture) is the youngest of four girls and their farm was five or so miles from the town where my parents live (and where I grew up). Lots of good times in our childhood! I won't put the picture of all of us in this post because you'd see just how lovely and skinny they all are and wonder what happened to me! :>) No, I'm lovely in my very own way . . . and they're all lovely in their size 4 and 6 ways. And I love them all the more, I really do. Even though they have stylish, smooth hair and I have fuzzy pulled back hair. (That white thing by my chin is Goose's hair bow.)

Here's what I've been reading on the internet this week:
Annemarie at Through The Narrow Gate has a news roundup post that I am looking forward to clicking around. This article will be of interest to Hubs. Says Annemarie: I guess Hawaii will begin celebrating Islam Day on September 24, 2009. I don't understand why we want to honor Islam specifically. Imagine if a day was created to celebrate 'Roman Catholic Day'. The separation of Church and State people would be all over the place screaming their heads off. Why does Islam get a pass on this?

My viewpoint has shifted over the past 15 years regarding this sort of thing. While I believe in multiculturalism and accepting differences, I believe some things go over the line. There's another article in there on gay marriage in Rhode Island. Similarly to the above statement, I don't support gay marriage. I have members of my extended family that have "come out of the closet" and while I love them very, very much, I do not approve of the gay lifestyle. Not sure that warrants a post, but I might expound a bit sometime.

Annemarie is also posting every day in May about the Blessed Virgin Mary; I have a great devotion to Jesus's mother and look to her for guidance as I mother my little one. Goose's middle name is Maria in her honor.

Martha Stewart's website has an article on making a stove/oven from a cardboard file box. Goose has a metal kitchen set that was mine - and I'm sure it was used back then. I smile every time I hear that oven door squeak - and not just because it means she's dragging out all her puzzles and we'll have to pick them up!

This book was noted this week on a message board at Faith and Family LIVE and is meant to be a "fun picture books with lovable homeschooling characters to create confidence and understanding about what it meant to be a homeschooler". I'm thinking we'll check the library for it!

It's a bit late for this year, but get a head start for next: the object project has a tutorial on making a fabric corsage for Mother's Day. Personally, I'll likely use fabric with less of a pattern so the design of the corsage comes through, but this one is lovely nonetheless! (Annemarie, one of the flowers is a carnation!)

This game on Scribbit looks like something my nieces would enjoy. (They're 10, 6, 4.5, and 1.5). I like games that non-readers can play with readers. (And check out the sidebar - there is a button to download a free ebook with tips for women bloggers. That sounds fluffier than I think the book really is - check it out!)

Let me know if you've found anything exciting this week on the web!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great picture of you and your daughter! I just wanted to drop by and say Happy Mother's Day!